dubbo-dev mailing list archives

From Huxing Zhang <hux...@apache.org>
Subject Re: List volume and issue tracking
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2018 09:55:45 GMT
Hi,

I am +1 on split the traffic of @dev list.

The issue appears after migrating repo to ASF. I use
"label:asf-dubbo-dev -[github]" to filter out them. :(

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Yong Zhu <diecui1202@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the same feeling.
>
> IMO, all the issue emails should be sent to issues@dubbo.apache.org, all

+1. All issues and the comments should go there.

> the PR emails should be sent to commits@dubbo.apache.org. How do you think?

-1. commit@ are used when code are committed to repo, I don't think
PRs should go there.
Once a PR is accepted, a message will be sent to commit@

My suggestion is PRs and the comments should go to issues@, or we can
create a new list prs@.

> and who can help to fix this?
>
> And I think we should use github issues, and move all the Jira issues to
> github.

>> All,
>>
>> I've been away for just over a week and come back to find over 300
>> unread emails on the dev list.
>>
>> A large proportion of these messages are comments on pull requests? Is
>> dev@ the right list for those?
>>
>> Another large proportion appear to be comments on issues? Is dev@ the
>> right list for those?
>>
>> Generally, the recommendation is to split into multiple lists based on
>> audience rather than topic. For some projects it therefore makes sense
>> to have all dev related traffic going to a single list. For others,
>> particularly large projects, it makes sense to split the dev traffic.
>>
>> The project appears to be using GitHub issues and Jira. That is
>> confusing. I'd recommend that you select one issue tracker and stick to it.

There was discussion[1] on the mailing list and the community has
decided to use github issues.
My understanding is that currently JIRA is only used for GSOC ideas
and track existing issues prior to that decision.
I am +0 on migrating the existing JIRA issues to github issues.

>> Finally, the github issues seem to be a mix of bugs and support
>> questions. Is that the way the podling wants to use github issues?

People get used to ask questions by creating an issue before joining ASF.
The PPMC are trying to tell users to use mailing list to ask questions
by leaving message on the issues, so does the website.
But I think it will take some time.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c8ca0bf3bff8f0ee236567bba2a3876c4d8b91a28a94948be4cb74b8@%3Cdev.dubbo.apache.org%3E
--
Best Regards´╝ü