druid-dev mailing list archives

From Clint Wylie <cwy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forbidding forced git push
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2021 21:46:59 GMT
It seems like this will basically only affect release managers.

I am maybe -1 since I have personally had to force push to a release branch
while making an RC, when I optimistically pushed the tags and then found a
mistake doing preflight checks before sending the artifacts out to vote. I
did this so that I didn't have to do something like jump from RC1 to RC3
with a dead RC2 before it was even voted on.

I find since github added
https://github.blog/changelog/2018-11-15-force-push-timeline-event/ that
force-pushes aren't that terrible to deal with during a review even, so
would probably personally be in favor of relaxing our soft policy on them,
but it seems like everyone else is opposed to them, so i think it is also
fine to keep the soft policy as is and adding the link to it to the PR
template.