drill-user mailing list archives

From Alexandre Rodrigues <alex.jose.rodrig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom functions with arbitrary number of arguments + improving physical plan on known cases
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 16:22:35 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

Let's imagine the following use case. We define a function called
InsidePolygon, that receives the X and Y of a point and we specify the
x,y's of the edges of a polygon. That would be a use case for var args. We
can alternatively specify the polygon as a string in the second argument,
deserialize it (e.g. split by comma) and use it to define the polygon.

SELECT s.id FROM sometable s
WHERE InsidePolygon(s.x, s.y, '0,0,0,1,1,1,1,0')

Would this function instance be created multiple times, or just once in
each drillbits and then feed with x,y pairs?
Is there any way of efficiently generate the code of a function that checks
for that specific polygon? In this case you be simply convert the function
code to a simple predicate such as:

(s.x >= 0.0 && s.x <= 1.0) && (s.y >= 0.0 && s.y <= 1.0)

Regarding the second question and using the above use case I'm thinking in
using geohashing to limit the sub-set of records to read. Imagine I just
want to query the HBase rows which row_key start by some value in a set
given by a a function.

Imagine we have a function like:

GeoHashByPoly('0,0,0,1,1,1,1,0') that returns a set of geohash.

And we just want to have read ranges that start by the values on that set.
What's the best way of hinting the HBase storage plugin to receive this
information when planning the ranges?

--
Alexandre Rodrigues