drill-user mailing list archives

From Miroslav Cupak <mirocu...@gmail.com>
Subject Connecting to Drill programmatically
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 14:33:31 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out how to connect to Drill programmatically from
Java (using JDBC). Let's assume I want to connect to a drillbit started
externally and query some parquet files stored locally, without using
distributed mode at this point. Could anyone please point me to or share
an example showing how to do this?

Since I haven't found any tutorial on the wiki or anywhere else, I tried
to replicate the approach from the JdbcTestQueryBase - use
org.apache.drill.exec/drill-jdbc as the dependency in my project and
obtain the connection from
DriverManager.getConnection(jdbc:drill:zk=local, null) after
Driver.load(). However, my connection is null and I get the following
exception when I try to use it:

SEVERE: null
java.sql.SQLException: Failure while attempting to start Drillbit in
embedded mode.
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException:
com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.JsonMappingException: Could not resolve
type id 'hbase' into a subtype of [simple type, class
org.apache.drill.common.logical.StoragePluginConfig]
 at [Source: [B@4dd987b2; line: 2, column: 3]
Caused by: com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.JsonMappingException: Could
not resolve type id 'hbase' into a subtype of [simple type, class
org.apache.drill.common.logical.StoragePluginConfig]
 at [Source: [B@4dd987b2; line: 2, column: 3]

It should be noted that I'm not even interested in running an embedded
drillbit or using HBase. Maybe I'm using a wrong entry point completely,
I can see some other possibly relevant classes (e.g. DrillClient), but
I'm not sure if that's the way to go. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Miro