drill-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Chen <tnac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Schema discovery
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2013 05:51:54 GMT
Hi Julian,

Glad to have someone responded to this :) Yes I think going beyond just
having no schema defined up front to actually giving users possibilities is
definitely a much better interactive experience.

I would imagine though that it could impact Drill, or perhaps build more
statistics capabilities in Drill to query schema info, since not all data
is just raw files but could be living in different data stores, then I
would think we need to talk through the Drill storage engine abstraction to
get those info.

I'll chat about this with Jacques and folks next monday or in the Drill
user group.

Tim

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Julian Hyde <julianhyde@gmail.com> wrote:

> A recent blog post by Daniel Abadi has a similar theme:
>

> http://hadapt.com/blog/2013/10/28/all-sql-on-hadoop-solutions-are-missing-the-point-of-hadoop/
>
> We could create a tool that scans the raw files and generates an Optiq
> schema that contains views that apply "late schema" (the "EMP" and "DEPT"
> views in
> https://raw.github.com/apache/incubator-drill/HEAD/sqlparser/src/test/resources/test-models.jsonare
examples of this). The user could interactively modify that schema