drill-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: High-level architecture
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:16:13 GMT
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Brian O'Neill <bone@alumni.brown.edu>wrote:

> How do we intend to distribute the execution engine across a set of
> machines?

There are a variety of thoughts.  These include:

- custom built execution controller similar to Storm's Nimbus

- use Storm's Nimbus

- use the custom built controller via Yarn.  Or Mesos.  Or the MapR warden

- start them by hand.

Obviously the last option will be the one that is used in initial testing.

Any thought to deploying the engine as a Storm topology?

Using Storm probably limits the performance that we can get.  Storm's
performance is creditable but not super awesomely impressive.

Some of the performance issues with Storm include:

- limited to Java.  This may or may not make a difference in the end in
terms of performance, but we definitely want flexibility here.  Java can be
awesomely fast (see LMAX and Disruptor), but C++ may be more predictable.
 We definitely *don't* want to decide for all time right now which option
we take and we definitely *do* want to have the C++ option in our
hip-pocket later regardless of how we build execution engines now.  Part of
Storm's limitations here have to do with the use of Kryo instead of a
portable serializer like protobufs.

- the designs I have seen or heard batting around tend to deal with batches
of records represented in an ephemeral column oriented design.  It will
also be important for records to be kept in unmaterialized, virtual form to
minimize copying, especially when flattening arrays and such.  Storm allows
tuples to be kept in memory when bolts are on the same machine, but insists
on serializing and deserializing them at the frontier.  To control this, we
would have to nest serializations which seems a bit like incipient insanity.

Other issues include:

- Drill execution engines will need access to a considerable amount of
out-of-band information such as schemas and statistics.  How do we manage
that in a restrictive paradigm like Storm

- Storm hides location from Bolts.  Drill needs to make decisions based on
location of execution engines and data.