drill-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Mucker" <matt...@mucker.net>
Subject Newbie: Help debugging Drill
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 21:19:11 GMT
I became a new Drill user last week only to discover that Drill would crash
with an IndexOutOfBounds exception on one of my queries. Some searching and
testing later, my best guess is that I'm hitting DRILL-5451.

Since this is currently a showstopper for me, and since I might learn
something by doing so, I thought I'd give it a go and try to debug this
problem and see if I might be able to contribute back.

I'm finding that when it comes to debugging, I really don't know what I'm
doing, and could use some help.

Preferably, help made up of small words.

I'm running Drill 1.11.0 on Windows 7. To start Drill in debug mode, my best
guess was to edit line 182 of sqlline.bat to read:

set DRILL_SHELL_JAVA_OPTS=%DRILL_SHELL_JAVA_OPTS%
-Dlog.path="%DRILL_LOG_DIR%\sqlline.log"
-Dlog.query.path="%DRILL_LOG_DIR%\sqlline_queries.log" -Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8000

When I run sqlline.bat -u "jdbc:drill:sz=local" now, I get a message
"Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8000" which, I expect, means
that the runtime is waiting for the debugger to attach.

I downloaded the Drill source and built with Maven. Using Eclipse Neon, I
imported the project. I created a debug configuration for a Remote Java
Application for project drill-common, on machine localhost:8000.

When I start the debug session, sqlline finishes launching and I get a
prompt at which I can enter a SQL command. Which suggests to me that the
debugger is in fact attached.

Inside Eclipse, I set breakpoints on lines 114 and 122 of
drill-java-exec/src/main/java/io.netty.buffer/DrillBuf.java.

However, when I repro my issue, I get the IndexOutOfBoundsException in
sqlline, but there's no indication in Eclipse that the debugger has broken
in, and I see no facilities to examine the stack trace or the local
variables.

What do I do next?