drill-dev mailing list archives

From Vlad Rozov <vro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Checkstyle Unused Imports
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2017 01:01:01 GMT
+1 to add checkstyle for the Apache license header. It will be good to
enforce consistency and avoid unnecessary warnings. I would also
recommend to add .idea/copyright to the drill git repository to simplify
adding license header to new files. +1 to enforce indents as well (I
hope usage of tabs is already prohibited).

Paul, all I was saying is that neither javac nor IntelliJ warns on the
AutoCloseable usage outside of the try-with-resources. IntelliJ has
similar to Eclipse code inspection, but by default it is turned off.
Java compiler does not warn and AFAIK does not recognize
@SupressWarning("resource") annotation. Instead of relying on IDE, I
would recommend to use findbugs or similar static analysis tools where
rules and exceptions to rules can be more easily formalized. My concern
with using IDE to identify resource leaks or other bugs that may be
found by a static code analysis is that usually there is no single IDE
in use and some part of a community prefers IntelliJ and another part
prefers Eclipse (in some communities contributors also use Netbeans,
emacs and vi). Maintaining two sets of rules for each IDE is not worth
the effort when the same may be achieved by using more advanced static
analysis.

Unfortunately using static analysis or at minimum implementing it
initially on a large project has it's own cons. A large number of
warnings/issues reported by such tools usually leads to denial of a tool
usage as nobody is willing to analyze false positive and fix real
issues. At the same time, I strongly believe that a community that
implements and enforces static analysis will benefit in a longer run.

The same applies to the code style enforcement (import order, placement
of "{" and "}", indentation, white space requirements). Many project
start without enforcing code style and as number of contributors grow
realize that enforcing unique code style helps to avoid discussions
during code modification and PR review and improves overall code quality
and readability, but at that point it's hard to introduce new rules into
code style enforcement as it would lead to a large number of violations.
Some communities take the bullet and reformat the code to adhere to a
specific code style.

I agree that it is more beneficial to adhere to the best programming
practices (small unit testable functions/classes with documentation and
annotations) over code style. At the same time, following the best
programming practices and enforcing unique code style do not contradict
each other and implementing one will help implementing the other or both
can be implemented in parallel. Code style enforcement is usually less
costly to implement as it requires less involvement from a developer and
a major part of the work can be accomplished by a tool.

Thank you,

Vlad