drill-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Farkas <tfar...@mapr.com>
Subject Code Generation Question
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:41:05 GMT
Hi All,

As I've been looking at the TopN operator and code generation, I've been wondering why we
have 2 forms of code generation:

  *   One is the method of stitching compiled methods into a template class with ASM.
  *   The other simply creates a class that extends the TemplateClass and compiles it without
using custom ASM techniques. This is the PlainJava technique.

With my high level understanding, it seems like using the PlainJava approach would be the
simplest, and would also probably be the most performant since we inherit all the java compiler
optimizations. Is there a specific reason why we still use our custom ASM technique? Would
it be safe to start retiring the old ASM technique in favor of PlainJava?

Thanks,
Tim