drill-dev mailing list archives

From Max Orelus <maxore...@fastmail.com>
Subject Retrieve Column Types from Parquet File?
Date Sat, 23 Sep 2017 17:10:40 GMT
Hi,

I recently started learning about using Apache Drill and I've been
trying to figure out something for a while now, but I can't seem to find
any resources that document what I'm trying to do. Essentially, I'm
trying to query the data types for each column that I have within a
Parquet file using drill. I've scanned over the documentation on the
Drill website, but nothing I have tried has worked.

I will admit that I'm not in any means a Database administrator, so this
is somewhat out of my knowledge realm. I'm a web developer that is
integrating drill querying within my applications.

So for instance, I have a parquet file that has the following columns:

name | address | age | occupation | timestamp

I would like to be able to query that parquet file and find out what
each column type is in the following manner:

| field      | type   |
|------------|--------|
| name       | string |
| address    | string |
| age        | int    |
| occupation | string |
| timestamp  | date   |

If you can point me in the right direction or potentially give me an
example of how I would write a query to output the above, I would really
appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

--