drill-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <prog...@mapr.com>
Subject Re: Speeding Up Unit Tests
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2017 01:39:10 GMT
Tests run in parallel when run from the command line in Maven. We have had issues, especially
when some test changes global state. Can’t remember the details, however.

- Paul

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 6:04 PM, Timothy Farkas <tfarkas@mapr.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I will be working on DRILL-5730<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-5730>
 and see some other areas for potential improvement with regard to testing:

>  1.  Add caching of maven artifacts to the Travis build. This should significantly speed
up compiling the code in travis.
>  2.  Running unit tests in parallel.
>  3.  Make the Travis build actually run unit tests (currently it does not).
>
> Points (1) and (3) are easy to do, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with
some of the potential pitfalls of running unit tests in parallel? Are there certain tests
which will have race conditions? and are there any foreseeable issues with running multiple
embedded drill bits in parallel?