drill-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <prog...@mapr.com>
Subject Re: Dynamically change logging levels for loggers
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 18:01:29 GMT
Hi Kunal,

Don’t know about rereading the config file, but I have had luck in the unit test framework
with adjusting log levels programmatically. (Tests turn on interesting log levels for the
duration of a single tests.) We might be able to use that capability (provided by Logback)
to make adjustments at run time.

- Paul

> On Aug 25, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Kunal Khatua <kkhatua@mapr.com> wrote:
>
> I figured this is a rarely modified piece of code but most frequently used across all
components. Hoping that someone who might have worked on logging can share some insight from
their experience in general, if not within Drill.

> I was wondering if changes to Drill's logback.xml can be picked up dynamically.
>
> i.e. without restarting the Drillbit, change the logging level of specific classes within
the Drillbit.

> I ask this because sometimes, a Drillbit needs to go through a warmup phase where the
JVM optimizes the functions frequently in use. Changing the logging from something like an
INFO to a DEBUG level would then allow me to correctly capture specific log messages without
having to lose all those optimizations due to a restart (for the DEBUG to take effect).