drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Drill Summit/Conference Proposal
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:02:12 GMT
It’s a legitimate concern, but remember that the more “popular” platforms tend to have
their own conferences already. The Apache projects with the most talks at ApacheCon were probably
Beam and Spark, with 3 each.

Without strong commercial backing (and a large advertising budget) DrillCon is not going to
see the promotion or attendance of say Spark Summit or Kafka Summit. So, I think we have a
glass half full: we can promote “DrillCon (occurring as part of ApacheCon)” and promise
a a full day of fascinating talks by Drill users and developers. We can reach not only the
30-50 people who came for Drill, but the 600 attendees who came to ApacheCon for other reasons
and might not be aware of Drill.

Julian

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Matt K <bsg075@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A counter point: I would be concerned that Drill would be overshadowed by more “popular”
or more entrenched platforms.

> Drill is an excellent and somewhat unique tech that needs more exposure to grow. An event
that focuses purely on Drill may have better success at that.

> The caveat may be that a Drill only summit may have low turnout and thus not succeed
at the above goals, thus I’m not certain what the right choice is, but I wanted to bring
up the point for discussion.

wrote:

>> I like the idea of co-hosting a conference. ApacheCon in particular is a good venue,
and they explicitly encourage sub-conferences (there are “Big Data” and “IoT” tracks,
and this year there were sub-conferences for Tomcat and CloudStack). DrillCon was part of
ApacheCon, people could attend a whole day of Drill talks, or they they could go to talks
about other Apache projects in the larger conference, and connect with Apache members.