drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issues categorization suggestion
Date Thu, 25 May 2017 18:41:24 GMT
In Calcite we assign a "newbie" flag to some issues. A more detailed
categorization takes significant effort for the person triaging the
bugs, so isn't worth it.

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Paul Rogers <progers@mapr.com> wrote:
> Great suggestion.
>
> What I’ve learned over the last year, however, is that if something in Drill seems
simple, it is only because I’ve missed understanding some of the details. It is quite hard
to determine the effort level to fix a bug without first doing a detailed analysis of the
bug. If the bug ends up being easy to fix, that is usually only because I’ve previously
learned an area.

> That said, if the goal is to find good “starter bugs”, we can tackle that directly.
Perhaps as the more experienced folks see bugs arrive in areas of our expertise, we can determine
if the bug could be fixed by a new contributor. That is, the bug is isolated, seems to be
pretty obvious, and the fix is likely to have few side-effects.

> Maybe use labels to identify such issues. Then community folks can grab those as a way
to get started with Drill development. And, that experienced developer can provide guidance
to help the new folks get started.

> Let’s take a concrete example. Thanks for filing DRILL-5539: "drillbit.sh script breaks
if the working directory contains spaces".

> On the surface, this looks pretty easy: just put quotes where needed. But, you’ll find
that drillbit.sh calls drill-config.sh to do all the heavy lifting, and that drill-config.sh
is called by many of our scripts. And, it does lots of path work to find the config files,
find directories, find Java and so on. Further, we have a unit test for the scripts that should
be modified to test for the case you found.

> So, if you wanted to tackle this bug, I can explain this background in the JIRA ticket
and help you identify all the places to fix, then show you how to use the unit test to verify
that everything still works.