drill-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <prog...@mapr.com>
Subject Re: Drill date & time types encoding
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2017 22:46:53 GMT
Thanks Parth!

The date and time definitions are the “classic” ones, but conflict with the Drill documentation:

http://drill.apache.org/docs/supported-data-types/

DATE Years, months, and days in YYYY-MM-DD format since 4713 BC

TIME 24-hour based time before or after January 1, 2001 in hours, minutes, seconds format:
HH:mm:ss

Which is correct?

If the documentation is wrong, we can file a JIRA to correct it. (It may not even be wrong,
since one can convert from one to the other easily, it may just be misleading…)

Also note that, according to C++, DATE and TIME and TIMESTAMP are exactly the same, but the
TIME as as 32-bit number, could only hold about 2 years due to limited range.

Also, according to SQL, DATE has no time zone, it is just a date. That is, 2016-03-13 is the
same date in PST or GMT. If DATE were seconds since the UTC epoch, dates would be different
in different time zones. So, I assume we use the Unix epoch, but without an implied UTC time
zone as is usual for Linux and Windows timestamps?

How does a TIMESTAMP differ from a DATE? Perhaps a TIMESTAMP is based on the epoch UTC while
DATE has no implied time zone?

Again, the documentation differs:

INTERVAL (Internally, INTERVAL is represented as INTERVALDAY or INTERVALYEAR.) A day-time
or year-month interval

TIMESTAMP JDBC timestamp in year, month, date hour, minute, second, and optional milliseconds
format: yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS

So, sounds like we have an INTERVALDAY and INTERVAL year, but do we or do we not have an INTERVAL?

If anyone knows, please let me know, else I need to do some poking around...

Thanks,

- Paul

On Mar 13, 2017, at 2:44 PM, Parth Chandra <parthc@apache.org<mailto:parthc@apache.org>>