drill-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <prog...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Design Docs
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 16:24:52 GMT
I like the template. The key contribution of the template is to remind us of the topics and
suggest a default document structure with which to start. It will turn out that each project
will need to make adjustments (topic A expands into multiple sections, say, topics B and C
are trivial and collapse into a single section, and topic D is already covered in an existing
document.)

As it turns out, we already use separate forums for specialized discussions: pull requests.
In a similar fashion, perhaps it is reasonable to use Google docs (or whatever) for detailed
design decisions. Bring to this list notifications of new documents, major revisions, and
key design questions: (“we planned to do extend A, but we’ve now decide to replace A with
a new B.”) so that people are prompted to jump into the detailed discussion when an interesting
topic arises.

As for tool; the Confluence Wiki is great: all the material is in one place; it tracks comments
and changes, you can be notified of each revision. Apache licenses Confluence JIRA. Can we
also get a Confluence Wiki license?

- Paul