drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The project says it has dozens of committers
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 22:39:53 GMT
On Drill's Team page[1] it says “It currently includes dozens of contributors employed by
many organizations”. It doesn’t make any claim about number of *committers*, only *contributors*.
I think you mis-read the page.

I count 99 distinct email addresses and 88 distinct names in the commit log, so it’s reasonable
to say there are at least 7 dozen code contributors. If we were to include non-code contributors
(people who have contributed by participating in discussions, blogging about the project,
or logging jira requests) I’m sure we’d have many dozen more.

In the press release on Drill’s graduation[2], Tomer Shiran said "It is the outcome of almost
three years of development involving dozens of engineers from numerous companies”. Also
true.

Julian

[1] https://drill.apache.org/team/ <https://drill.apache.org/team/>

[2] https://drill.apache.org/blog/2015/05/19/the-apache-software-foundation-announces-apache-drill-1.0/
<https://drill.apache.org/blog/2015/05/19/the-apache-software-foundation-announces-apache-drill-1.0/>

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 1:32 PM, Michael Lazar <mlazar@clouderagovt.com> wrote:
>
> You say you have “dozens of committers”. A dozen is 12.  You have 21 names on the
list. That is not even 2 dozen.  Seems to be a math error to me.