drill-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <prog...@maprtech.com>
Subject Proposal to add site & node config
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:35:42 GMT
Hi All,

As part of the Drill-on-YARN project we would like to split out user (“site”) configuration
from that for Drill itself. We also want to split distribution-provided settings (such as
those set by MapR) from user configuration. Finally, we want to separate per-node configuration
from site-wide configuration. All of this simplifies upgrades (and enables YARN localization.)

DRILL-4591 tracks this issue. I’ve just uploaded a proposal for the change. The proposal
covers motivation, details the config additions, explains the upgrade process and provides
a number of examples of how the change would work in practice.

Backward compatibility is a key goal: existing installations work without change. Users should
find that using the site config simplifies upgrades.

Please have a look and provide comments. In particular, if you are a Drill user, is this proposal
helpful to you and how might we improve it?

Thanks,

- Paul

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4591 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4591>