drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@dremio.com>
Subject Re: Drill Hangout Starting
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:28:26 GMT
Just a quick call today.

Attendees:

Vitalli
Arrina
Laurent
Jacques

Discussions around DESCRIBE SCHEMA & DESCRIBE TABLE where? Calcite or
Drill?

- Propose initially committing to Drill. Also open two bugs to move to
Calcite once DRILL-3993 is done.

Question around progress on DRILL-3993?

- Jacques and Arrina to both bump thread to figure out next steps.

Question: why Parquet only read, not write INT96 type? Should we add INT96
type?

- INT96 read so we can convert to Drill internal date type when data is
produced by Impala. Write isn't implemented because there is no current way
to tell Drill to output data in that format (as there is no concept of a
96bit integer inside Drill).
- Propose open discussion on Drill mailing list if desire adding type. Also
question of whether the issue is actually we need to enhance Hive to
support Parquet defined timestamp types for consumption. Jacques noted that
extra types can be expensive and Drill probably needs to deprecate types
instead of adding types.

Question: Why does drill have var16char?

- Vitalli making changes to remove var16char from Hive translation
- We should probably remove var16char from Drill v2

Short discussion around removing spill files, Vitalli to update PR to clean
up earlier than end of JVM.

thanks everyone who attended!

Jacques

--