drill-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Rogers <prog...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Drill on YARN
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2016 02:42:45 GMT
Hi Jacques,

I’m thinking of “semi-static” allocation at first. Spin up a cluster of Drill-bits,
after which the user can add or remove nodes while the cluster runs. (The add part is easy,
the remove part is a bit tricky since we don’t yet have a way to gracefully shut down a
Drill-bit.) Once we get the basics to work, we can incrementally try out dynamics. For example,
someone could whip up a script to look at load and use the proposed YARN client app to adjust
resources. Later, we can fold dynamic load management into the solution once we’re sure
what folks want.

I did look at Slider, Twill, Kitten and REEF. Kitten is too basic. I had great hope for Slider.
But, it turns out that Slider and Weave have each built an elaborate framework to isolate
us from YARN. The Slider framework (written in Python) seems harder to understand than YARN
itself. At least, one has to be an expert in YARN to understand what all that Python code
does. And, just looking at the class count in the Twill Javadoc was overwhelming. Slider and
Twill have to solve the general case. If we build our own Java solution, we only have to solve
the Drill case, which is likely much simpler.

A bespoke solution would seem to offer some other advantages. It lets us do things like integrate
ZK monitoring so we can learn of zombie drill bits (haven’t exited, but not sending heartbeat
messages.) We can also gather metrics and historical data about the cluster as a whole. We
can try out different cluster topologies. (Run Drill-bits on x of y nodes on a rack, say.)
And, we can eventually do the dynamic load management we discussed earlier.

But first, I look forward to hearing what others have tried and what we’ve learned about
how people want to use Drill in a production YARN cluster.

Thanks,

- Paul