drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Altekruse <altekruseja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming the new ValueVector Initiative
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2015 20:25:26 GMT
Jake,

I think that Julian was trying make a point about the use of the complete
name Apache Arrow, not thinking about the project name in isolation. That
being said I completely agree that it is not a derogatory term. I might
make a case that the logo should be a mathematical representation of an
arrow rather than one with a big cartoonish arrowhead if we did go with it.

+1 to a vote

- Jason

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Julien Le Dem <julien@dremio.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Wes McKinney <wes@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > Should we have a last call for votes, closing EOD tomorrow (Tuesday)? I
> > missed this for a few days last week with holiday travel.
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Julian Hyde <julian@hydromatic.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Consulting a lawyer is part of the Apache branding process but the
> first
> > > stage is to gather a list of potential conflicts -
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-90 is an
> > example.
> > >
> > > The other part, frankly, is to pick your battles.
> > >
> > > A year or so ago Actian re-branded Vectorwise as Vector.
> > >

> http://www.zdnet.com/article/actian-consolidates-its-analytics-portfolio/.
> > > Given that it is an analytic database in the Hadoop space I think that
> is
> > > as close to a “direct hit” as it gets. I don’t think we need a lawyer
> > > tell us that. Certainly it makes sense to look for conflicts for the
> > other
> > > alternatives before consulting lawyers.
> > >
> > > Julian
> > >

> > > On Nov 25, 2015, at 9:42 PM, Marcel Kornacker <marcel@cloudera.com>
> > wrote:

> did a
> issue
> > >>

> > > I'm assuming you mean Vectorwise?
> > >
> > > Before we do anything else, could we have a lawyer look into this? Last
> > > time around that I remember (Parquet), Twitter's lawyers did a good job
> > of
> > > weeding out the potential trademark violations.
> > >
> > > Alex, could Twitter get involved this time around as well?

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q6UqluW6SLuMKRwW2TBGBzHfYLlXYm37eKJlIxWQGQM/edit#gid=304381532&vpid=A1

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q6UqluW6SLuMKRwW2TBGBzHfYLlXYm37eKJlIxWQGQM/edit#gid=304381532

> ted.dunning@gmail.com>

> jacques@dremio.com>