drill-dev mailing list archives

From Dhruv Gohil <yourfrienddh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Python Driver Contribution Idea
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:24:40 GMT
Just my 2cents:
I think its into greater good that J/ODBC/Native/REST connectivity
features (for SQL operations) are pushed under "Apache Calcite" Project
instead of Drill kind of projects.
Just like "Apache Phoenix <https://phoenix.apache.org/server.html>" guys
started with Query Server
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-971>

Drill can/should use Calcite+Avatica
<http://calcite.apache.org/docs/avatica_overview.html> combination to
support native language interfaces.
AFAIK ODBC/Native client development is in TODO and seeking contribution
effort, so if Wojtek selects to work with Calcite Community on this, All
dependent project including DRILL will get the benefit of Python
Connectivity.

cc:dev@calcite.apache.org

On Monday 28 December 2015 01:37 PM, Wojciech Nowak wrote:
> Dear Drill developers,
>
> Recently I was trying to use Drill from Python through ODBC interface based on blog post
from https://www.mapr.com/blog/using-drill-programmatically-python-r-and-perl It worked as
expected, but what struck to me was that It’s a lot of hassle to configure it.

> That’s why based on Your site under Contribution Ideas (https://drill.apache.org/docs/apache-drill-contribution-ideas/)
I decided to create simpler solution for Python community.

I would like to use Rest-Api of Drill for which i found documentation under https://drill.apache.org/docs/rest-api/
> sketch of usage:
> https://gist.github.com/PythonicNinja/9b4952b6cbc17572c7db#file-pydrill-py
>
> questions:
> 1.1 I was wondering if Python driver for Drill could be based on Rest-Api, do you see
any problems?
> 1.2 Do you have any ideas or suggestions for that project?
>
> 2.
> It would be separate package from driver, you can install as an optional package via
command:
> pip install pydrill-dsl
> so that it would have separate releases from 1 package.
> It would enhance way of interacting with Drill via query set like expressions.
> sketch of usage:
> https://gist.github.com/PythonicNinja/9b4952b6cbc17572c7db#file-pydrill_dsl-py
>
> questions:
> 2.1 Should it be separated from Python Drill Driver package?
> 2.2 Do you have any ideas or suggestions for that project?
>
> This contribution would be part of my Master Thesis, so any ideas are welcome. My thesis
supervisor suggested to contact You to get Drill core developers perspective.