drill-dev mailing list archives

From Sudheesh Katkam <skat...@maprtech.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Improving Fast Schema
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2015 17:53:45 GMT
Hey y’all,

@Jacques and @Steven,

I am looking at improving the fast schema path (for LIMIT 0 queries). It seems to me that
on the first call to next (the buildSchema call), in any operator, only two tasks need to
be done:
1) call next exactly once on each of the incoming batches, and
2) setup the output container based on those incoming batches

However, looking at the implementation, some record batches:
3) make multiple calls to incoming batches (with a comment “skip first batch if count is
zero, as it may be an empty schema batch”),
4) generate code, etc.

Any reason why (1) and (2) aren’t sufficient? Any optimizations that were considered, but
not implemented?

Thank you,
Sudheesh