drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jinfeng Ni <...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Get off Calcite Forked Version
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 20:27:14 GMT
Currently, Drill maintains a forked version of Calcite. Because of
this, it has been a big headache to rebase onto the latest Calcite
master branch every time when Calcite makes a new release.

During today's Drill hangout, we discuss ideas around how to get Drill
off the forked Calcite, by either pushing back patches in the forked
version to Calcite master branch, or trying to see if those patches
are still required for Drill to work properly.

There are 49 commits in forked Calcite whose base is Calcite 1.4.0
release [1]. I put a spreadsheet for the current status of those 49
commits, as far as I know [2]. Half of them are the patches that were
cherry-picked from Calcite master branch,  9 are just for version
change, and the rest requires either push back or re-work in Drill
side.

I think we probably have to spend considerable effort to get this done
ASAP. Otherwise, it will continue to be an issue for Drill.

There are two separate work to be done:
1. Continue to rebase forked version onto latest Calcite master
(Currently it's 1.5.0)
2. Push the patches in fork to Calcite master. Once all patches are
in, we could finally get rid of fork and rebasing efforts.

The spreadsheet has a column for sign-up.

Thoughts?

(let me know if you have problem accessing the spreadsheet).

[1] https://github.com/dremio/calcite/tree/DrillCalcite1.4.0
[2] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z0J5aMCBfqq_9SEl-LXsi_B8Ahaosygqke4cH6pPwmo/edit#gid=0