drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jinfeng Ni <jinfengn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Drill 1.3.0 (rc1)
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:33:02 GMT
I run the impersonation test through IntelliJ and kept looking at the
thread # through Activity Monitor. It seems towards the end of this
testcase, the # of thread is increased from 12xx to 27xx, meaning the
testcase created at least 1500 threads.

jstack in the middle of running captures thousands of thread status.
Most of them seems to be "IPC Client". Different object "user1_1",
"user1_2" would have multiple different IPC client threads.

"IPC Client (1767081798) connection to localhost/127.0.0.1:61790 from
user1_1" daemon prio=5 tid=0x00007fbddb595800 nid=0x19607 in
Object.wait() [0x0000000136a1e000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
  at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
  - waiting on <0x00000007cc37c448> (a org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection)
  at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.waitForWork(Client.java:928)
  - locked <0x00000007cc37c448> (a org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection)
  at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.run(Client.java:973)

It seems this test case indeed creates a lot of threads.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@dremio.com> wrote:
> I think that is enough -1's that we should sink this release and get this
> test figured out. I will spend some time looking at it this morning. Can
> some others also lend a hand?
>
> If we can't figure out why the impersonation test is causing problems (or a
> solution), I'm inclined to disable it and stop holding up the release. It
> definitely seems like it probably has more to do with the test structure
> itself rather than the a Drill bug.
>
> I'll shoot to start a new release candidate vote later today. In terms of
> master, I propose that we fork a 1.3.0 release branch at commit
> e78e28661e921c6bd07ba7bb95d91f9adeb5a247 and then we can reopen changes on
> master.
>
> thanks,
> Jacques
>
> --
> Jacques Nadeau
> CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@dremio.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody want to profile what the impersonation tests are doing that are
>> causing so many problems with resources?
>>
>> --
>> Jacques Nadeau
>> CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Hanifi Gunes <hgunes@maprtech.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1024/4096/2032195 <==> soft/hard/system

>>> we

>>> wouldn't
>>> expecting

>>> failures.
>>> options

>>> jacques@dremio.com

What
>>> happens

>>> Also,

>>> =

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.sequenceFileChainedImpersonationWithView »
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testMultiLevelImpersonationJoinEachSideReachesMaxUserHops:233->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:236->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:213
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testMultiLevelImpersonationExceedsMaxUserHops:219->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:236->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:213
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.avroChainedImpersonationWithView:280->BaseTestImpersonation.createView:186->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:236->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:213
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testDirectImpersonation_HasGroupReadPermissions:186->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:236->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:213
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testDirectImpersonation_NoReadPermissions:196->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:236->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:213
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testMultiLevelImpersonationEqualToMaxUserHops:210->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:236->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:213
>>> NullPointer
>>> »
9, Skipped: 118

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.sequenceFileChainedImpersonationWithView »
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testMultiLevelImpersonationJoinEachSideReachesMaxUserHops:233->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.
>>> > > > > > > > >

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testMultiLevelImpersonationExceedsMaxUserHops:219->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:
» IllegalState

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.avroChainedImpersonationWithView:280->BaseTestImpersonation.createView:186->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222-

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testDirectImpersonation_HasGroupReadPermissions:186->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:
» IllegalState

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testDirectImpersonation_NoReadPermissions:196->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:236-
» IllegalState

>>> TestImpersonationQueries.testMultiLevelImpersonationEqualToMaxUserHops:210->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:222->BaseTestQuery.updateClient:
» IllegalState

Baxter <

but I want to point
>>> out
and 1.2 do not, for
>>> some

something we are doing

Norris Lee <

tested ODBC against
>>> various
json)

2015 10:16 AM
Apache Drill 1.3.0 (rc1)

gpg signature for all 3
>>> files.
cluster then run several
great.

AM, Jacques Nadeau <

of DRILL-4041. Since it
>>> is
is a release stopper. I will

7:34 PM, Amit Hadke <

mvn clean install Ran join
parquet and sequence files.

at 10:01 AM, Abhijit Pol <

vote with details

installed on Mac, ran drill in
config changes, ran few
>>> queries
header, ran few queries against
in

8, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Hsuan Yi Chu <

install on mac and linux

few queries on distributed mode.

looked fine

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Aman Sinha <

the binary tar ball and
>>> installed on
in
 Tested a few join, aggregation and
>>> limit
with and without metadata cache.
>>> Tested
 Looked at query profiles on the

Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 11:53 PM, Abhijit Pol

+1

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM, andrew <

wrote:

> > Hey Everybody,
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > I'd like to propose a new release
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > Drill,
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > 1.3.0.  This is the second release
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > This

some

> > issues identified in the first release
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > including
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > threading issues, Parquet dictionary
>>> read
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > binary

Joda

> > upgrade to avoid a concurrency bug
>>> and a
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > small
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > The tarball artifacts are hosted at
>>> [2]
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> hosted
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > at [3]. This release candidate is
>>> based
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

>>> f17ebd2fbf2bf5ba201a635f5b6ec3615afe2305
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > The vote will be open for 72 hours
>>> ending
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> > Pacific,
>>> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
> 2015.