drill-dev mailing list archives

From Parth Chandra <par...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dot drill file
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 21:13:09 GMT
Hi Julien,

  In an earlier discussion, regarding 'insert into' we had discussed the
idea of keeping a merged schema (a common schema that applies to all the
files in the directory) in a .drill file.  The metadata cache file also has
the same information and, in addition, has stats.  We never did specify
what a merged schema contains.

  My understanding was that the .drill file, when available, becomes the
source of schema information. I can see both the metadata cache and the
insert into functionality using a common format. For these two sets of
functionality, I don't see a need for the file to be human readable and if
a more efficient format is available, I think we should use that. This is
particularly true if we need to keep per file information.

  Is that how we are thinking of the .drill file? Or are we talking about a
.drill.format (?) file. I guess this is similar to Ted's question.

  BTW, I'm not convinced that record level error handling directives belong
in this. I know Jacques had some thoughts about that, but I wouldn't mind
if someone explained it to me again :) . To me record level error handling
is really a query level directive, not something that applies to all the
data (in a directory) all the time. Keeping an open mind on this though.

  Something about the inheritance rules based on similar questions
regarding the metadata cache file - The metadata cache file is built based
on all the files in the hierarchy under the current directory. So if you
have a hierarchy
   -- B
      -- C
   -- D
there is a metadata cache file in A, B, C and D. The cache file in A
contains info on all the files in B, C and D. If you update the directory C
and refresh metadata for C, then _only_ C will get updated and the changes
are not propagated upwards. If you refresh metadata for A, all the changes
are seen by A, B, and C. For the use case you're outlining, I would think
looking only at the directory the files are in should suffice.

Parth