drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Skipping Records
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:56:33 GMT
It would be useful if you could describe the different ways that a record can be “bad”.
IIRC the SQL standard divides the conditions into errors and warnings. Examples of a warning
would be a string column that is truncated because it is too large for a varchar(20), or numeric
underflow when you add 10.00001 to 100000. Examples of errors would be divide-by-zero or inserting
a NULL value into a column declared NOT NULL.

Maybe Drill has a different set of error and warning conditions than this (but probably not
THAT different). But it would be useful to spell them out. And it would be useful to be able
to treat “error” and “warning” conditions differently.

Julian