drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jul...@hydromatic.net>
Subject Re: Naming the new ValueVector Initiative
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:04:14 GMT
Consulting a lawyer is part of the Apache branding process but the first stage is to gather
a list of potential conflicts - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-90
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-90> is an example.

The other part, frankly, is to pick your battles.

A year or so ago Actian re-branded Vectorwise as Vector. http://www.zdnet.com/article/actian-consolidates-its-analytics-portfolio/
<http://www.zdnet.com/article/actian-consolidates-its-analytics-portfolio/>. Given that
it is an analytic database in the Hadoop space I think that is as close to a “direct hit”
as it gets. I don’t think we need a lawyer to tell us that. Certainly it makes sense to
look for conflicts for the other alternatives before consulting lawyers.

Julian

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 9:42 PM, Marcel Kornacker <marcel@cloudera.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@dremio.com <mailto:jacques@dremio.com>>
wrote:
> Ok guys,
>
> I don't think anyone is doing a thorough analysis of viaability. I did a quick glance
and the top one (Vector) seems like it would have an issue with conflict of an Actian product.
The may be fine. Let's do a second phase vote.

> I'm assuming you mean Vectorwise?
>
> Before we do anything else, could we have a lawyer look into this? Last time around that
I remember (Parquet), Twitter's lawyers did a good job of weeding out the potential trademark
violations.

> Alex, could Twitter get involved this time around as well?
>

> Pick your top 3 (1,2,3 with 3 being top preference)
>
> Let's get this done by Friday and then we can do a podling name search starting with
the top one.

> Link again:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q6UqluW6SLuMKRwW2TBGBzHfYLlXYm37eKJlIxWQGQM/edit#gid=304381532&vpid=A1
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q6UqluW6SLuMKRwW2TBGBzHfYLlXYm37eKJlIxWQGQM/edit#gid=304381532&vpid=A1>

> thanks
>

> --
> Jacques Nadeau
> CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@dremio.com <mailto:jacques@dremio.com>>
wrote:
> Ok, it looks like we have a candidate list (we actually got 11 since there was a three-way
tie for ninth place):

> Vector
> Arrow
> honeycomb
> Herringbone
> joist
> V2
> Piet
> colbuf
> baton
> impulse
> victor
>
> Next we need to do trademark searches on each of these to see whether we're likely to
have success. I've moved candidates to a second tab:

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q6UqluW6SLuMKRwW2TBGBzHfYLlXYm37eKJlIxWQGQM/edit#gid=304381532
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q6UqluW6SLuMKRwW2TBGBzHfYLlXYm37eKJlIxWQGQM/edit#gid=304381532>

> Anybody want to give a hand in analyzing potential conflicts?
>

> --
> Jacques Nadeau
> CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@dremio.com <mailto:jacques@dremio.com>>
wrote:
> Everybody should pick their ten favorites using the numbers 1 to 10.
>
> 10 is most preferred
>

> --
> Jacques Nadeau
> CTO and Co-Founder, Dremio
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com <mailto:ted.dunning@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> Single vote for most preferred?
>
> Single transferable vote?
>

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 2:50 AM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@dremio.com <mailto:jacques@dremio.com>>
wrote:
> Given that a bunch of people added names to the sheet, I'll take that as tacit agreement
to the proposed process.

> Let's move to the first vote phase. I've added a column for everybody's votes. Let's
try to wrap up the vote by 10am on Wednesday.