drill-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: select from table with options
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:57:35 GMT
Whatever API is used to scan files from SQL, there will need to be a
corresponding way to accomplish the same thing in a user interface.
Probably a form with various fields, some of them with drop-boxes etc.

And ideally a facility that samples a few hundred rows to deduce the
probable field names and types and which fields are unique.

I think that the UI is the true "user friendly" interface. A usage
pattern might be for people to define a data source using in the UI,
save it as a view, then switch to the command line to write queries on
that view.

There are other use cases similar to reading flies. For example you
would like to read data from an HTTP URL. You might want to specify
similar parameters for formats, compression, parsing, and parameters
in the file URI that describe a family of partitioned files. A URL
might allow push-down of filters, projects and sorts. But still you
would want to specify formats, compression and parsing the same way as
reading files.

To me, this argues for decomposing the file scan syntax into pieces
that can be re-used if you get data from places other than files.

Julian