drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@dremio.com>
Subject Re: DRILL-3423
Date Sat, 31 Oct 2015 02:50:23 GMT
Hey Jim,

The answer is it depends...  :)

Drill is designed fundamentally designed to handle schema changes. However,
many of the items are not finished around this. As such, if you have an
event like this occur after a record batch boundary, you'll have issues
currently. A batch boundary is generally ~4000 records. As such, whether
you have issues depends on how likely to see all known patterns within a
~4000 record window. If you are only likely to see a subset in that window,
you'll probably have issues. If you expect to see all combinations in that
window, you'll probably be fine.

A number of people are actively working on solving this issue. For example,
Amit is currently working on resolving issues in schema change with regards
to the join operators. Within a couple months, we hope that these issues
will be resolved.

Hope that helps.
Jacques

--