drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@dremio.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Design Documents
Date Sun, 18 Oct 2015 23:44:20 GMT
Parth,

Thanks for bringing this up. We definitely need to do a better job of
discussing development decisions. I think whether this is done as a set of
descriptions and comments on JIRA or a formal doc on Google is less
important (and I wouldn't be inclined to enforce one over the other).

That being said, I think there is something else that limits the success of
such an effort. We first must ask: how do we get more people responding and
providing feedback among the things people have already posted. I know I've
experienced silence numerous times when asking for feedback and so have
others. Some recent examples I've seen in the community:

 - DRILL-3738 has received very little to no feedback despite providing an
initial design document
 - DRILL-3229 has one general response (ask for more detail) from you with
a follow-up from Steven but no additional feedback on the actual proposal

So I put it back to you and the general list, how do we get people to
provide more feedback on all contributions and proposals? I think it goes
beyond designs. More issues should be opened with better descriptions and
proposals around why one would do something. When the basic outline has
consensus and feedback, people can move to more thorough designs. Why
haven't we seen response on these issues?

I can't see a requirement of reviewed design docs being enforced until we
start to seeing people providing feedback on feature proposals and existing
(albeit thin) design documents. So +1 long term but -1 until people start
to respond and provide feedback on the outstanding items. Contributors need
to perceive value in presenting a design doc. Let's get the WIIFM right so
that developer incentives are aligned.

Jacques

--
Jacques Nadeau