drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@dremio.com>
Subject Re: select from table with options
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 13:15:30 GMT
> This fourth is also least extensible and thus most disenfranchising for
> those outside the inner group.
>
> Table functions (hopefully) would be something that others could
implement.

This is a brainstorm about a user apis...

It isn't appropriate to shoot down ideas immediately in a brainstorm. It
has a chilling effect on other people presenting new ideas.

User apis should be defined first with an end-user in mind. Consistency in
different contexts is also very important (note my expansion of the
discussion to ASCRIBE METADATA.)

Your statement about extensibility has no technical backing. If you have a
concern like this, ask the proposer if they think that this could be done
in an extensible way. In this case I see a number of ways that this could
be done. Note the mention of the grammar switch in my initial proposal or
go review my outstanding patch for integrating JSON literals. In many ways,
I think this approach could be considered the most extensible and
expressive for a Drill extension developer.

I hope others will continue to brainstorm on this thread.