drill-dev mailing list archives

From Parth Chandra <pchan...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Drill Hangout 20151013 Minutes
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2015 21:00:34 GMT
Minutes (Thanks to notes by Daniel) -

Attendees:  Andrew, Andries, Daniel, Jacques, Jinfeng, Kristine, Nathan,
Parth, Venki, Zelaine

Topics:

Misc. status:
Parth is working on small fixes in the Parquet reader; is/will be having
Jason review them.

Hadoop version:
Jacques brought up updating Drill to use a newer version of Hadoop (2.7.1)
in order to support Amazon Web Services file system integration. (Relates
to s3n to s3a protocol change.)  New clients are supposed to be compatible
with un-upgraded servers.  MaprR needs to resolve Hadoop or Hadoop fork
versions and related instructions.

Storage plug-in interface:
Jacques described plans to integrate planning aspects into the storage
plug-in interface.  (An example need is that a Drill plug-in for Phoenix
can't incorporate Phoenix's secondary indexes into Drill planning.)  Plans
are to add hooks/extension point for more phases of planning, including
pre-planning initialization.

Flatten:
There was discussion about how to address problems with FLATTEN.  Ideally
we need to implement Flatten as a table function. More discussion around
the proposal needs to happen. In the future, Drill may move toward
supporting standard SQL's UNNEST. One issue to resolve is how table
functions related to "lateral joins."  Jacques will file some JIRA reports.
Also, Jacques mentioned that he is writing a "missing designs" document.

Calcite fork:
There were some updates and discussion about getting away from using the
current Drill-specific tracking fork of Calcite.  (Background: Drill has
made a number of patches in its fork.  Drill and Calcite haven't yet
determined how to either add Drill-required functionality directly into
Calcite or add extension points into Calcite.  (An example bit of
functionality is not expanding "*" in planning because of Drill's late
schema binding.))  Jinfeng will look at recently added Calcite hooks to see
if Drill's currently forked changes are implementable via those hooks.

Releases:
Regarding the Apache 1.2 release, Parth will sending a voting reminder.
Re future releases, there was a brief discussion about release scheduling.
The target will be monthly released beginning on the *12th of the month*.