drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Scott <jsc...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: drill user experience
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:08:04 GMT
To iterate on Ted's point... and to note, this is not disagreement from
Jacques point...

There are a core set of capabilities within Drill that need to have
fantastic documentation...

1. User documentation for how to write queries - I personally feel this is
very good and continues to get better. Is it perfect? No, but I wouldn't
complain about this.
2. Developer documentation for how to extend drill
  a. UDF
  b. Storage Plugins
  c. Formats

I believe that #2 is the one we should probably think the hardest about.
The easier we make it for the community to contribute the faster drill will
gain adoption and the better drill will be as a product. We should take
action to take down the walls preventing people from contributing code.
Enabling pull requests from github is an amazingly good step in the right
direction. Having better documentation for #2 must also be taken care of.

--
*Jim Scott*
Director, Enterprise Strategy & Architecture

 <http://www.mapr.com/>
[image: MapR Technologies] <http://www.mapr.com>