drill-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Chris Westin <chriswesti...@gmail.com>
Subject Request - hold off on merging to master for 48 hours
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:41:04 GMT
I've got a large patch that includes a completely rewritten direct memory
allocator (replaces TopLevelAllocator).

The space accounting is much tighter than with the current implementation,
and it catches a lot more problems than the current implementation does. It
also fixes issues with accounting around the use of shared buffers, and
buffer ownership transfer (used by the RPC layer to hand off buffers to
fragments that will do work).

It's been an ongoing battle to get this in, because every time I get close,
I rebase, and it finds more new problems (apparently introduced by other
work done since my last rebase). These take time to track down and fix,
because they're often in areas of the code I don't know.

It looks like I'm very close right now. I rebased against apache/master on
Friday. All the unit tests passed. All of our internal tests passed except
for one query, which takes an IllegalReferenceCountException (it looks like
a DrillBuf is being released one more time than it should be).

So, in order to keep the gap from getting wide again (it looks like I'm
already a couple of commits behind, but hopefully they don't introduce more
issues), I'm asking that folks hold off on merging into master for 48 hours
from now -- that's until about noon on Friday PST. I'm hoping that will
give me the time needed to finally get this in. If things go wrong with my
current patching, or I discover other problems, or can't find the illegal
reference count issue by then, I'll post a message and open things up
again. Meanwhile, you can still pull, do work, make pull requests, and get
them reviewed; just don't merge them to master.

Can we agree to this?

Chris

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message