drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@apache.org>
Subject Re: My last patch moved us to protobuf 2.6
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 22:11:40 GMT
There is no wire difference between the two so having one client on 2.5 and
one on 2.6 shouldn't have major impact.  The changes are all in the library
and generated code.

Two concerns with the change come to mind:
- We had an opportunity to stop shading our stuff since Hadoop 2 uses
Protobuf 2.5.  With this change, we have to continue to shade.
- Most Drill and Hadoop developers are on 2.5 so that means they'll have
trouble if they want to make changes to Drill.

If 2.6 isn't actually buying us anything meaningful (for Java), I'd be
inclined to switch back but I'd like to hear more opinions.