drill-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Altekruse <altekruseja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: understanding groupCount & valueCount in repeated vectors
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:16:21 GMT
Hanifi,

I think we should try to avoid using the word 'cell' to refer to elements
within a single value. We often explain the concept of complex data in
Drill by describing a list or map type being stored in a single database
'cell'. Overall I totally agree with the lack of clarity, I would advocate
for something like getChildCount for the number of members below the lists,
as current database language does not include hierarchies/nesting I think
this is a safe naming convention.

the concepts of individual values in the case of scalar vectors and entire
lists/nested structures with a simple name change. It might just be
clearest to document the getValueCount method at the top level value vector
interface to clearly state that it should match the number of records. Even
beyond the issue of repeated confusion, this number also currently includes
nulls, which some devs might find confusing if we don't document it.

-Jason