diversity-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for summary update (was Re: Does Outreachy mean we are paying for code? Is that acceptable?)
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2019 15:41:50 GMT

On 2019/06/30 11:01:54, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> We have a strong tradition here of independence and being vendor
> neutral.  We don't pick winners and losers.  "We don't pay for code"
> is a useful approximation of those values.  It has plenty of
> exceptions, just like the ones that described in the link above.

Actually, the principle is that we, the foundation, do not pay for development for Apache
projects.

Phrasing it as "we do not pay for code" is a shorthand, but does not, in fact, "define" the
tenet. Saying that such things as paying contractors for self-service Infra code is some sort
of "exception" to that tenet, has been debunked my several people, as has been explained by
numerous people including Greg, our head of Infra, previous director and previous Chairman.
A logical outcome (effect) of that policy is that we are vendor neutral, but that is not the
source of that tenet, but rather an extension of behaviors based on that tenet (we also have
a duty to be vendor neutral as well, due to our 501(c)3 status, but that is a related but
different point).

by numerous people who have been officers, founders, directors, etc.

I would ask that those continuing to spread this misinformation, or mischaracterization of
the actual facts, please stop doing so. Framing the argument as "we do not pay for code, (when
we obviously do)" and "the core reason for this is neutrality" is incorrect and disingenuous
and somewhat self-serving. It significantly harms the validity of their other arguments and
points of view which have value and useful insight, and requires wasted time and energy for
those who need to repeatedly set the facts and the record straight.