diversity-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Outreachy thread part 0 of 3 - Why and what do we get out of it
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2019 19:51:54 GMT
Agreed. If some external entity wishes to sponsor Outreachy *for us*, without using us as a
middle-man at all, then all is cool.

On 2019/06/19 18:20:14, Alex Harui <a...@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
> I am not subscribed to diversity-private, so it was a bit disappointing to see that these
discussions are not going on in public.  However, I have a question that may have already
been discussed so pardon if they already have:>

> Outreachy appears to be a non-profit that accepts donations, do we know for sure that
Outreachy cannot manage the money for us?  As in, the sponsor offering the ASF target sponsorship
money instead donates the money to Outreachy who then writes the check to the intern?>

> Thanks,>
>
> -Alex>
>

> ´╗┐On 6/19/19, 10:24 AM, "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:>
>

>     On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 1:12 PM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:>

>     >>

>     > On 2019/06/19 15:12:42, William A Rowe Jr <w....@rowe-clan.net> wrote:>

>     > > I am not understanding how other members investing their individual energy>>

>     > > into a new initiative translates into your valuation or scorn?>
>
>     >>

>     > If that was all, then I agree. I would have no reason nor basis to say anything.>

>     >>

>     > But that is not it.>
>
>     >>

>     > Instead, they are asking to spend ASF funds and bypass/work-around a long standing
tenet. It is much more than just investing 'individual energy'.>

>     >>

>     > Pretend, for example, that I am interested in learning more Kotlin and investing
my individual energy in doing so. No big deal right? Now pretend in doing so, I want the ASF
to pay for someone to train me. At that point, it becomes much more than me just investing
my own individual energy. It is expecting the ASF to fund my education, my learning, my development,
my knowledge. I would fully expect such a scenario to cause... heartburn.>