From Sijie Guo <guosi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] DP-8: Symlinked Log
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2017 17:32:17 GMT
Agreed that a general reconfiguration approach will be ideal for solving
the problems

However currently DL is using a metadata store (e.g. ZooKeeper) for storing
and managing the metadata part. So the capabilities of metadata
reconfiguration is kind of limited by the features offered by the metadata
store. For example, zookeeper doesn't support rename operations. A symlink
approach here is try to address the metadata reconfiguration problem when
the underneath metadata store lacks such ability. Beside that, moving a
flat namespace to a hierarchical namespace in general is a long-duration
operation. So an approach should exist to allow both co-exist for a while
and allow rolling back and forward.

- Sijie