From Dan Benediktson <dbenedikt...@twitter.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] DP-8: Symlinked Log
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2017 15:14:29 GMT
It seems to me that the fact that the namespace format needs to be changed
is the specific, immediate problem, but the bigger problem is that there
isn't a mechanism to perform an atomic reconfiguration step for log
metadata. Namespace format change is one example of a reconfiguration (if
we start viewing namespace format as a part of log metadata, which just
happens to currently be unspecified since there is no format other than the
flat one), but there are already other metadata reconfiguration changes
that are desired: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DL-74 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DL-77. I think we should try to solve
the general reconfiguration problem correctly first, and then that should
enable us to solve both this problem and those two more naturally. I expect
that a correct reconfiguration solution would obviate the need for this
sub-task: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DL-201.