From Gerrit Sundaram <gerritsunda...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] using protobuf than thrift
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2017 06:29:20 GMT
Hello all,

for the comment in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/pull/99, I am starting
this email thread for discussing using protobuf to store metadata for ease
extension.

I have a few reasons for using protobuf rather than using thrift:

- bookkeeper is using protobuf for storing metadata. so there is no extra
dependency.   and it will make things consistent.
- the thrift version that DL is using now is 0.5.0-1, which is an
out-of-date thrift version and seems to be a special version that Twitter
customized for finagle. it makes me impossible to build a c++ client to
access DL.
- using protobuf, I can easily write a gRPC request handler for current
proxy service to support c++.

Any thoughts?

- Sijie