From Asko Kauppi <asko.kau...@zalando.fi>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2016 19:14:47 GMT
Hi Arun,

I am also a newcomer to DistributedLog, and spent some time reading the
documentation. I'd like to share some tips with you, to hopefully make your
journey faster.

First of all, I think 0.4.0 has not been released but the documentation I
am following is based on that. My goal is to get a proper Docker-based
setup running within this week. I did manage, today, to run the stack
locally on macOS.

- I found this page the best:
http://distributedlog.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/deployment/cluster.html

It has almost all the information needed to set things up. At places, there
seems to be mistakes, but with a little trying one gets past those.

To check that everything actually works, the write tutorial pages (like
http://distributedlog.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/tutorials/basic-1.html
) have good one-liners. Those two pages are all I really needed.

As a third pointer, there's a Docker page
http://distributedlog.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/deployment/docker.html
that is likely the fastest way to get going. I plan to make a similar, but
maybe clearer setup during the week...

There are some aspects of DistributedLog that took me a while to get a hang
on. For one, both Zookeeper and BookKeeper are delivered as part of the
dependencies, and can be run from the versions in the lib/ folder. That's
the best, or at least safest way to progress I guess.

The documentation seems to be there, but it's like blown into multiple
pieces and doesn't currently offer a good linear reading experience. Some
pages can be entered from multiple menu positions in the docs page, which I
find distracting. I'm hoping to get things up, understanding the vision and
technical layout of DistributedLog, so that I can be helpful in creating an
"outside in" documentation for diving into DistributedLog.

I think the project has a lot of potential. Nice to have you join it!

- asko