From Flavio Junqueira <fpjunque...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Distributedlog Podling Report Draft - November 2016
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2016 10:02:34 GMT
Thanks, Jia. It would be good to have concrete metrics where possible. See my comments below:

> On 30 Oct 2016, at 10:53, Jia Zhai <zhaijia03@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot for your suggestions Flavio.
> And Guys, Here is a draft. Please help comments on it.
> Regards.
> -Jia
>
> =====================================
>
> DistributedLog
>
> DistributedLog is a high-performance replicated log service. It offers
>
> durability, replication and strong consistency, which provides a fundamental
>
> building block for building reliable distributed systems.
>
> DistributedLog has been incubating since 2016-06-24.
>
> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
> 1.       Continue to grow the community, especially people from outside
> Twitter.
> [Ask the PMC for helping check the number of people subscribed to dev@ mail
> list]

I think you're referring to the project PMC checking the subscription list. I checked and
we have 35 people subscribed. A lot of people have gmail and apache.org <http://apache.org/>
addresses so it is hard to tell affiliation. One typical sign of community diversity is to
have active committers from multiple organizations, which is just a natural extension of a
diverse community. As folks contribute to the project, I'd expect the PPMC to offer committership
to the contributors.

Please do not refer to Twitter specifically, just say that we want to increase diversity.

> 2.       Improve documentation.

Project documentation is important, but from a community perspective, it is more important
to have all processes documented well: how to contribute, how to merge, notes for first time
committers, how to cut a release, check licenses. We need to make sure all this is in place
once we suggest graduation.

> 3.       First Apache release

When is the first release due? it would be good for this community to release sooner rather
later. I'd expect multiple releases upon graduation. I think I'd just say "Release successfully".

> Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
>
> of?
>
> None

> 1. Increase in contributions from community.

How do we measure this? Here are a few suggestions:

- Number of messages to the list
- Number of jiras created/resolved
- Number of individual contributors

> 2. Lots of engagement on documentation.

What are you using to determine this? Mailing list discussion or jira?

There are other interesting threads going on too, like transactions and event sourcing.

> 3. Improved responsiveness of committers to community members

I'd phrase this differently. I'd say something like:

Increased traffic on the mailing list, in particular, due to committers engaging more actively
with contributors.

> 1. Documentation has improved for project build and project deployment.
> Added more information on  community page.

Please try to be a bit more specific.

> 2. Involved more discussion of new ideas and bring in new features. Include
> major discussions like 'transaction support', 'batch commit' .etc.

Ok, I see you talked about other threads here.

> 3. First release and repackaging of the project under apache namespace are
>
>   being discussed, such as:
>
> - Pull requests for repackaging.
>
> - Twitter folks are working on porting twitter's bk version back to
> community

It is a bit unclear why this is important, and I'd again avoid referring to a specific company
if possible.

If there is a major change happening and the community is all involved, then I'd mention it,
but as stated it sounds like this is relevant to the BookKeeper community, although it affects
this community because of the dependency.

> - Expect to cut a release on Nov.

We should mention this above when we refer to the first release. I'd also be interested in
knowing why the delay, what is holding it, and who is the release manager. We don't necessarily
need to add it to the report, although more detail isn't bad.

-Flavio