From Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributed Log as Kafka's backend
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 06:46:38 GMT
Khurrum,

Interesting. Thank you for your interests in DistributedLog.

Three years ago when we started the project internally at Twitter, we did
have a plan to use it as a backend for both kestrel (Twitter's in-house
queue system) and Kafka. However, we didn't go down that direction.
Instead, we built a similar self-serve pub/sub system over DistributedLog
to consolidate our kestrel and kafka. So we don't have a concrete plan to
build the kafka's interface over DistributedLog. The module was put under
tutorials is mostly to give people an idea how it can be used for building
a partition based pub/sub system.

However, I don't have any strong preference here. If you think it would be
useful to other people, you are welcome to contribute. We'd be happy to
guide and offer any helps.

Also, it might be good if you can explain more about what you are planning
to do. Other people in the community can chime in and discuss.

Please let us know your thoughts. You are very welcome to make any
contributions.

- Sijie