From Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] DEP-0: DistributedLog Enhancement Proposal
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 08:02:52 GMT
Hello all,

Based on my previous email about workflow
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-distributedlog-dev/201607.mbox/browser>
on managing the ideas/improvements, I am proposing to add a formal process
for how we deal with major changes (design docs) to DL. I'd like to have
such process as it would be easier to manage and track the changes that we
will add and coordinate the changes with different people. for example,
adding security support, adding c++ client and such.

Kafka and Flink have a process called KIP
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Improvement+Proposals>
(Kafka Improvement Proposal) and FLIP
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Improvement+Proposals>
(Flink Improvement Proposal). We can try to adapt similar process. The
subject also hints at this, our process could be called DEP, for
DistributedLog Enhancement Proposal.

No matter the process looks like. The core idea is to have a flow to flow
the knowledge in one direction, from discussion (mail list, confluence
page), implementation (jiras, pull requests) to documentation (website).

Also, I throw a list of ideas that distributedlog can improve to a
confluence page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DL/Project+Ideas. This can be
used a backlog of DEP candidates. :D

What do you think? About Name? process? Any comment is welcome :)

-Sijie