directory-users mailing list archives

From "Robinson, James F" <james-robin...@uiowa.edu>
Subject LdifAnonymizer: No file to anonymize... when using client API?
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2018 20:50:30 GMT
I'm a newcomer to LDAP trying to assemble what should be a very simple tool: take a user name,
attempt to connect to an Active Directory server and bind on UID only, so that it pops a password
dialog, so that I can authenticate the user of a particular application. I don't need anything
more advanced than "is this a valid DN, and if it is can you ask them for a password and let
me know if it's valid?"

My code, trivial as it is, is failing to even launch, because LdifAnonymizer throws an exception
that there's "No file to anonymize." Poking through the source, ldap.client.api.LdifAnonymizer
appears to do this when launched as a standalone application without a file being passed in
as a parameter. But I'm not trying to launch anything, so I'm not sure what is, or why. I
have the following libraries added to Eclipse as "Referenced libraries:"

                api-asn1-api-2.0.0.AM2.jar
                api-asn1-ber-2.0.0.AM2.jar
                api-ldap-client-api-2.0.0.AM2.jar
                api-ldap-codec-core-2.0.0.AM2.jar
                api-ldap-model-2.0.0.AM2.jar
                mina-core-2.0.18.jar
                slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar

This is the minimum set of libraries necessary to resolve all dependencies generated by api-ldap-client-api-2.0.0.AM2.jar.
I haven't touched any configuration files. Everything's as it was downloaded. I'm obviously
doing something wrong, but from both the "Five Minutes[sic] Tutorial" (should be "Minute,"
singular-English is funny that way) and what I can find in the User Manual, the client should
act like a client, not attempt to install or run any services. Yet the User Manual only mentions
Ldif in terms of adding records to a DS server, and I have no interest at all in doing that.
I just want to connect and bind to a remote AD server, get my yes/no authentication result,
and unbind.

Am I using the wrong tool? Missing something obvious? I'm at my wit's end here. I'd provide
code, but this error happens even if I comment out the import directive that brings in org.apache.directory.ldap.client.api.LdapNetworkConnection.
It appears to be enough to link the JAR, and I get the error.

Thanks,

--
James Robinson, Application Developer
State Health Registry of Iowa