directory-users mailing list archives

From <Damian.Ba...@t-systems.com>
Subject [ApacheDS] Management of users groups roles and permissions for different tools (web apps)
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2018 15:03:22 GMT
?Hello All,

I'm Damian Baran and I work for T-Systems. I don't have a lot of experience with LDAP, just
basic knowledge. I have setup my own local testlab with Apache DS as LDAP serever, Apache
Directory Studio as LDAP browser and some local instances of tools we use in our company.
During this exploration I got idea that most of the "digital tools" out there use user/group/role
permission model. What I don't understand is why these tools doesn't support such deep LDAP
integration? Why you can't just manage users, groups, roles and permissions in one place in
LDAP and just configure tool to retrieve this data from LDAP?

BTW I don't know if LDAP have such possibilities to fully take over management of users, groups,
roles and permissions for different tools (web apps). Do you have some experience with that??

Best Regards,

Damian Baran