directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS 2.0.0-M23 non-gui adding a partition
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 15:14:22 GMT

Le 02/02/2017 à 10:04, Brian Burch a écrit :
> I have a stable 1.5.4 production directory and felt it was time to
> upgrade to 2.0.0. All of my 1.5.4 customisation is done with shell
> scripts and ldif files, which I track through source management.
>
> I was dismayed when the server upgrade from ubuntu 14.04 LTS (which
> does not have an apacheds package at all) to 16.04 LTS installed
> apacheds 2.0.0-M15 and trashed my 1.5.4 installation. Luckily, I have
> a lot of backups and could restore the environment quickly!

2.0.0-M15 is not even recent. It's 3 years old.

> I decided to start again on a development server to see how well my
> 1.5.4 scripts ran against 2.0.0. This server already runs ubuntu 16.04
> LTS, so it seemed simplest to install M15 from the xenial repository.
> This version really went bad in combination with the enforced use of
> systemd (the subject of a future thread), so I decided to uninstall
> the package and purge all its files.
>
> I downloaded M23 as a deb from the apacheds web site and it installed
> OK. I looked for a systemd service file and quickly discovered this
> deb only installed a systemv script. It didn't automatically start the
> server, but the wiki said to start it manually, so I did.
>
> It ran with the default configuration, but I was surprised to find
> (unlike with M15) config.ldif had been renamed to
> config.ldif_migrated. This change is mentioned in:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-2050
>
> I needed to define my own partition, but the wiki page:
>
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/basic-ug/1.4.3-adding-partition.html
>
> ... only describes how to do this with studio, or programmatically. I
> "used my intiative" and extracted the entries from
> config.ldif_migrated which defined the "example" partition. I edited
> them to reflect my own partition and submitted an ldapmodify as admin,
> which ended with rc zero. Unfortunately, the directory was not built
> and populated in the partitions directory (alongside system, schema
> and example).
>
> I restarted the server, but still no partition. I then tried the
> "recover" option because I noticed it had been involved during the
> initial install, but it apparently it did nothing for me (and wrote no
> messages).
>
> As I was using a development server, I decided to purge M23 and start
> again. Before I started the new server for the first time, I edited
> config.ldif and changed all the references for "example" to suit my
> own partition. When I ran my first admin ldapsearch, the server
> created my empty partition (and not the example one). I subsequently
> had no difficulty running my first few 1.5.4 customisation scripts.
>
> Did I use the most suitable technique to create my partition under
> M23? Is the best technique already documented somewhere, because I
> couldn't find it in my searches? Should the best procedure be
> documented in the "adding partition" page of the wiki? Can I do it, or
> must it be done by someone with special access privileges?
The documentation is available at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/site/trunk/content/apacheds/
(yes, I know, it's still SVN :/) and in Markdown format, so you just
need a text editor to patch it and send a diff to us (in a JIRA). I
would be please to update the web site.

And btw, I'm sorry for the mess.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny