directory-users mailing list archives

From Mike Davis <mda...@rez1.com>
Subject RE: Exploring triggers
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 16:47:52 GMT
I was very close to having one working at some point in October or November,
but couldn't quite get it. I created a class, uploaded the code into LDAP,
and it was triggerable, but there didn't seem to be a way to they affect
entries in the LDAP server.

The use case I was working on was using the addition of a user into a group
triggering the application of a specific security policy.

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 11:25 AM
To: users@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: Exploring triggers

Le 02/02/2017 à 17:04, Sathyanarayan, Harish a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Triggers in ApacheDS seems to be a fascinating topic from an LDAP server
> pointof view,  though I do not find any specific examples or usages around
> that. Please suggest anything that would be worth looking at that is out
> there.

Hi,

this was an experiment, done a decade ago. We didn't had time to keep going,
but the code is still present in the server.

There is some available material here : http://people.apache.org/~ersiner/

It *has* worked, and I still do think it's a valuable feature.
Typically, that could be useful to manage users/group updates, or to trigger
some code execution on updates.

Right now, I'm pretty sure it's not anymore working due to the migration
from JNDI to the LDAP API (trigger code is still depending on JNDI, while
teh rest of teh server depends on teh LDAP API). However, I don't think that
reviving teh effort would take a lot of time, so if you are interested in
it, I can drive you through the existing code.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org